you're reading...

Celebrate Me Now

Poem by Constance van Niekerk © 2020

Celebrate me now
Your tears I won’t see when I’m gone
Your wails I won’t hear when I’m no more
When I’ve gone before you
On a celestial trip with no companion
No guide, but never getting lost
Not ever returning
Only my cold, lifeless limbs remaining
Celebrate me now
Those ‘I love you’s, don’t keep them for later
Those ‘I miss you’s, words so sweet,
How can you not utter them now
By and by
Time will be no more
Breath will refuse to go out
My home so far will I enter
Celebrate me now

Don’t flood my Facebook Timeline
With sentimental messages and eulogies
When I’m gone, my phone I can’t hold
Your dedications on the radio I won’t hear
The grave side chatter
Of how much you loved me
Will just be words that dance with the wind
Celebrate me now
For tomorrow is not guaranteed

Connie V (01-03-2020 18:04).

About Connie V

Constance van Niekerk, (Connie V) is a South African-based Zimbabwean-born creative writer, poet, music lover, spoken word artist, freelance writer, blogger and educator. She has contributed to several anthologies and published her own collection, Echoes of My Heart: A Poetry Collection available for purchase on all Amazon Stores Worldwide. She is also Editor at ZimOnlineNews. Follow her on Twitter : @convanniekerk Connect with her on Facebook and Linkedin.

Discussion

10 thoughts on “Celebrate Me Now

1. Lookin’ happy and sunny! We haven’t seen the sun for, like, 6 months and it is bloody cold!

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Stroke Survivor UK | Mar 2, 2020, 22:24
    • Awwwwwww…. Come to Africa! That pic was taken shortly after Christmas last year. Today has been raining since morning with no electricity most of the day kkkk… it’s raining even now… it’s just normal rain. Sending lots of sunshine my dear☀️☀️☀️

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Connie V | Mar 2, 2020, 22:30
      • We used to get powr cuts a lot, but mainly because we’re rural. It’s better now though.
        I never went to Africa but funny enough I’ve been lucky enough to have met several Africans on WordPress – you in Zim, someone in SA, one guy in Nigeria… All over.

Posted by Stroke Survivor UK | Mar 2, 2020, 22:42
  2. Ah yes, I must have misread, for some reason I remembered Zim from when I first followed you, but now I see you are SA. I hope you have a lovely trip there, will you fly? I have no idea of the distances but I would guess a lot more than a European would be used to!

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Stroke Survivor UK | Mar 2, 2020, 23:12
  3. I celebrate you Ma’am!

Liked by 1 person

Posted by Maureen Nyasha Hove | Jun 21, 2020, 11:11

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s